Crows in England

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 13:01:06 UTC 2001

Dear Siouanists
I was surprised to discover recently that one of my students, a
Miss Rowan, is half Crow on the father's side.  She says that he
came here with his mother and her second husband who is English
when he was 6 years old ie in the early 1950's from Canada. He
has never been back and knows very little of his family, but she
says he told her that his actual Crow name is 'Chezvela'.  That has
probably got mangled on its passage into English and across the
'pond', but does it look as though it might mean anything in Crow.
Any clues

Bruce

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies