Oglala

SOUP soup at vm.inext.cz
Thu Jan 18 08:55:40 UTC 2001

In Dakota text Deloria has the story where Ikomi sits on the back of a
flying hawk (story n. 7.) and in paragraph n. 8 she uses the verb
oka't?apt?ap, which she explains in a footnote as the gesture of contempt
given in John's message (and I think Buechel has the verb with the same
meaning)

Jan Ullrich

---

Koontz John E forwarded and wrote:

> I noticed on your language message board, some one asking about Oglala.
> Oglala or as is said here, Okdada, means a sign of contempt.
> Scatters ones own is the sign language sign for this word.
> You take your thumb and bring it to the tips of your fingers, to make a
> group of five. Then you flick our wrist quickly outwardly.
> This means throwing sand or dirt at someone. Upon receiving the sign the
> oldtimers went for their knifes.
>
> These Lakota people were always doing this and so received the name.
>
> ====
>
> JEK:
>
> I've checked in Buechel, Riggs, and Williamson without finding this sense
> of oglala (ohdada, okdada, etc.).  I tried locating comparable terms from
> the English index of Buechel without any luck either.  I've also tried
> looking under 'flick' in the Siouan Archives files without any luck.  This
> was because I definitely recall stumbling across a Deloria text (perhaps
> only in English?) that refers to a gesture described (in the English) as
> "flicking the fingers," and indicates it is a gesture of contempt.  Iktomi
> gets into trouble with Buzzard, I think, because he makes this gesture at
> him behind his back.  (This is the Dakotan vesion of the story in which
> Trickster ends up stuck in a hollow tree.)
>
> What strikes me about this explanation of the name Oglala is that it
> becomes more generic and descriptive, and falls more in line with the
> common Plains practice of assigning mildly to extremely insulting names to
> other subdivisions of the group.

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.214 / Virová báze: 101 - datum vydání: 16.11.2000