quick note about flying things

ardis eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Jan 21 04:01:11 UTC 2001

I mentally noted in an earlier discussion on classifications of birds that
'wagdhishka' in Omaha-Ponca was being used to refer to flying things.  I am
hesitant about this classification.  It seems to refer mostly to bugs in
current use which seem folk-taxonomically related to reptiles:

wagdhishka hi duba 'alligator' (literally: insect foot four, 'four-footed
insect')

So, this would not necessarily be the best name for the classification of
flying things (it indeed seems to indicate other features as salient, those
which link reptiles and insects).

I seem to have deleted the message this refers to and thus cannot quote it
(i'd bet money though that it was from John K. since it was on Omaha!).  I
apologize.

-Ardis