bow (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 6 20:23:20 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:49:46 -0500
From: "Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>
To: 'David Costa ' <pankihtamwa at earthlink.net>,
     'John Koontz ' <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>,
     'Mike McCafferty ' <mmccaffe at indiana.edu>
Subject: RE: bow

>What Miami has is /mihte(h)koopa/~/mihtek(h)waapa/, which are basically
regular from PA */me?tekwa:pyi/.

Sorry, Dave, I didn't have your dictionary here at home and was relying on
memory of Dunn/Voegelin's mitaekopa where ae = a-umlaut as usual. Knew it
was something like that.

>Another possible wrinkle on this is that a couple very well supported PA
'arrow' words can be reconstructed. Tho I spose one could say those
meant 'spear' or whatever and that those terms got transferred to 'arrow'.

That's standard. 'Dart' or 'spear' is reconstructible to PSi too, but it
presumably referred to atlatl darts. 'To shoot' still has the Mandan cognate
with the meaning 'throw'.