Bows

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 11 03:37:31 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Erik wrote:
> I have not noticed any differences between the self-bow (the east coast
> type) and the recurved-sinew backed bow that was so common on the plains.
>          The recurved-sinew backed bow is supposed to have come down into
> the plains  (by Athabascans ?) before any Siouan peoples and would likely
> have been adopted there. Does anyone know of any lexical differences between
> the two bow types?

Buechel gives t(h)ak(h)aN ita'zipe and t(h)ak(h)iNtazipa (contracted) for
'sinew-backed bow' in eton.  I've parenthesized the aspiration because I'm
assuming it's there, but Buechel doesn't indicate it definitively.  I
can't explain the variation in ablaut grades.

I suspect the conception that bows or sinew-backed bows are northern in
origin might stem from a supposition that they are derived from Asia.  I
don't know if this is born out by dating or not.  To some extent the date
of introduction of bows in the general sense can be deduced from the
presence of smaller projectile points, but I think there may be some
overlap in sizes of points for arrows and throwing spears.  I haven't
stumbled on any survey of the dating of bow technology and I have the
impression that this may not yet have been attempted in archaeological
terms.  I don't know if there is any indicator for sinew-backed bows as
opposed to bows in general.  There seems to be some ethnographical support
for a late spread of bows in North America, but bows were fairly
widespread by the end of the early contact period and I don't know if
there is any survey literature from this approach either. Anyone know any
archaeologists or ethnographers interested in this area?