Bows (IO tradition)/Yankton sociology

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 04:50:34 UTC 2001

Two things, a comment and a question..

1. Regarding bows, one thing that Skinner notes (1925) is that there was an Ioway
tradition that the Wolf Clan "spoke a different language" when they met up with
the other clans. This is notable, as the Wolf Clan brought the bow and arrows.
Could the IO Wolf Clan originally have been an Algonquian group? This would
explain a number of things, including some archaeological situations and gray
areas. I would double-check the Skinner reference but all my Ioway stuff is in
storage. I am pretty sure it was in "Traditions of the Iowa Indians" (1925), in
the section on clan stories.

2. Does anyone have a good authoritative reference for Yankton sociology (kinship
and leadership structures)?

--
Lance Michael Foster
Email: ioway at earthlink.net