Bows (IO tradition)/Yankton sociology

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jul 17 14:28:48 UTC 2001

I was inyerested to hear about the Algonquian origin for Itazipa 'bow'.
Does anyone know what is thought to be the actual Algonquian
likely form?  I had thought, purely impressionistically,  that it had
something to do with yajipa 'sting, prick'.  What about 'spear'
wahukheza.  It looks as though it comes from something like hu
'stick', kheza 'barbed'.  But it may be just folk etymology.  Similarly
with 'shield' wahachaNka which looks like ha 'skin, hide', chaN
'wood' ie 'hide hardened to a texture like wood'.  This takes us back
to the discussion earlier this year about the seeming morphological
transparency of a lot of basic Lakota words. Are the spear and
shield words thought to be borrowings?

Bruce at .Date sent:      	Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:48:22 -0600 (MDT)
Send reply to:  	siouan at lists.colorado.edu