Bows (IO tradition)/Yankton sociology (fwd)

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 14:54:22 UTC 2001

I am not going to hypothesize whether Iroqouoian borrowed from Algonquian
(o.k., I doubt it), or Algonquian borrowed from Iroqouoian (I doubt that too,
but if so, it only borrowed the initial part of its word, and not the final
part containing /p/.  Anyway, glottal stop is not a reasonable Iroquoian
substitute for /p/ in a borrowed word.  In known cases of such borrowing,
Iroquoian languages either substitute /kw/ or /w/.

Blair