Soup

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 27 20:52:14 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
[mailto:owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sent: July 27, 2001 12:41 PM
To: siouan at lists.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: Soup

>I recently came across a Cheyenne form hohpe 'soup'.  This is suspiciously
>like Crow hu'ppii 'soup'.  Does this have a Siouan etymology?  What about
>Algonkian?  It sure looks like a borrowing to me, and I am curious about
the
>direction of borrowing.
>
>Randy

Can't say, but I can give you the Nakota for 'soup' haNbi.  I think there's
another word for a thick soup, or stew, but I can neither rememeber nor find
it right now.  Hohpe reminds me of hoxpa 'cough', but that's almost
certainly coincidence.

The Cree word for soup (if I recall correctly) is anapapoy.  Ojibwe for
'soup' is naboob.  Those are the only Algonquian languages I have a sniff
about.

I've been not much help, I'm afraid.

Shannon