Soup

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Jul 27 22:10:15 UTC 2001

>I recently came across a Cheyenne form hohpe 'soup'.

>Can't say, but I can give you the Nakota for 'soup' haNbi.
I've been not much help, I'm afraid.

No, actually that's right on the money. Mandan has something like /huNp-/,
so the Nakota fits in with both it and the Crow. This still doesn't mean
they're cognates rather than borrowings though, since all the languages that
have the word are in the NW of Siouan territory. I suspect Randy's right and
that the word was borrowed in one direction or the other.