Soup

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Jul 28 07:06:46 UTC 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> >I recently came across a Cheyenne form hohpe 'soup'.
>
> >Can't say, but I can give you the Nakota for 'soup' haNbi.
>
> No, actually that's right on the money. Mandan has something like /huNp-/,
> so the Nakota fits in with both it and the Crow. This still doesn't mean
> they're cognates rather than borrowings though, since all the languages that
> have the word are in the NW of Siouan territory. I suspect Randy's right and
> that the word was borrowed in one direction or the other.

Teton haNpi' 'broth, soup; gravy; juoce' (Buechel 167a)

Mandan hu'priN(h) (Hollow 80), i.e., hupiNniN, with (h) showing in
hupiNniNhot 'salt' < hupiNniN + ot 'to mix'.

Winnebago has niNiNpaN'naN, which might be niNiN 'water' + paNnaN 'to have
scent', or maybe not.  It could be, say, *hiNiN'praN modified by analogy
with niN 'water' as the Algonquianists say.

What the Mandan term does resemble in an interesting way is:

Teton omni'c^a 'bean' < *(h)obriNka
OP    hiNbdhiN(ge) 'bean'
Osage hoNpriN(ke) 'bean'

etc.