Soup

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Jul 28 17:39:53 UTC 2001

I checked 'soup' in the comparative dict. MS and my memory was right. The
forms cited by Randy and Shannon are restricted geographically to the NW
area within Siouan. The forms are:

CR   hu'ppii
HI   hu'pa
MA   huNpiNniN'he (a compound fide Dick Carter)
LA   haNpi'
     asaN'pi 'milk' < aze' 'breast' + haNpi
DA   haNpi'   Sioux Valley haNpi' also.
NA   haNbi' (from Shannon)

That's it. All the other languages have completely different and unrelated
forms. The commentary points out that this is one of several sets in which
aN and uN correspond irregularly.

I don't think these are at all related to the 'bean' word, since in 'bean'
the (h)o- portion is etymologically distinct from the -m(i)ni- part, and the
latter part is the part borrowed from Uto-Aztecan or Yuman (v. our earlier
correspondence).  Segmentation there is before the labial element and here
it is after the labial element. Algonquian looks like a good source here,
with Cheyenne as suspect number one. Siouan nasality is unexplained however.