language as property, follow-up

Mark Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:34:57 UTC 2001

Bob:
Yes, a common (although not exclusive) theme running through these situations seems to be the role of self-serving outsiders. I have not been able to sort out the exact beginning or catalyst for the example I posted. However, it clearly has one or more non-community/non-Tribal-type folks sitting in the background.

I posed several questions to the community member "writer" of the draft resolution about such things as unenforcability of the proposed law, academic cooling towards the community, disfranchisement of unenrolled members, the divisive impact it would have on the community, and the potential for extreme political manipulation of the language. The responses given made it clear that the person either 1) just had not thought out much of the details of the possible impact of the resolution, or 2) the "writer" was just fronting something instigated elsewhere. Whatever the case, it will require some more investigation on my part.

best
uthixide