Bow Dating Summary

ird ird at blueridge.net
Mon Jul 16 16:18:49 UTC 2001

In the Ohio Archaeologist Vol. 43, No. 2 (Spring, 1993) is a detailed article by Leland Patterson, "Current Data on Early Use of the Bow and Arrow in Southern North America."  It is reprinted from La Tierra, Quarterly Journal of the Southern Texas Archaeological Association.  The date for that isn't given, but Patterson's bibliography covers 1991.  If these journals are hard to get and there's interest, I'll summarize with a quote or two.

Incidentally, I doubt if Catawba speakers received either their first bows or better bows from the Creeks, or had any particular reason to borrow a Creek word at what would have had to be a rather late time period.  Somewhere I found a much closer cognate with a maverick Algonquian language, and will add it to our collection when I re-find my notes on it.

Irene