Portatives in Omaha-Ponca

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 13 15:22:10 UTC 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Kathleen Shea wrote:

> Just a comment.  I think the word for "ribs" has an aspirated "t":  dhetHi.
> An example can be found in the family name of one of my Ponca consultants
> (and in the personal name of one of her ancestors), DhetHi Aag^a, "Cries For
> Ribs."

Thanks for the correction, Kathy!  The dhi- initial is definitely with i
in Fletcher & LaFlesche, but that source doesn't show aspiration and I
guessed wrong.  Itti 'abdomen' definitely is marked for tt in the Dorsey
texts, though Dorsey is not infallible.  This is a hapax legomenon in the
texts as a body part, though the incorporand occurs in the 'transport' or
'haul' verb several times.  It looks like maybe they're not related to the
ribs term.

JEK