Rib (was Re: Portatives in Omaha-Ponca)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 18 21:34:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Kathleen Shea wrote:

> Bob just e-mailed me that the Kansa and Quapaw cognates don't contain an
> aspirated consonant, so I'm probably wrong.

So, presumably it is dhitti (in OP).  Note that Dorsey actually has just
"edh"  + i + t + i, where edh is written cent-sign as usual.  This is
consistent with either version (dhitti or dhithi), though actually I
normally assume the latter in such cases.  Fletcher & LaFlesche's "t" is
also ambiguous.  I have not heard the word pronounced.