language as property

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 13:18:06 UTC 2001

Hi all-

I am now in Alaska working for the National Parks here. Hope to keep
involved as much as possible...

This is an interesting topic I would like to add to.

I think many NA people think somehow you are going to make lots of money
(like Jimm said) off the language. And everyone wants money. This is only
the extension of the general perception that writers make lots of money. I
know that I myself, and from what I know of Jimm's efforts and the others
here, that you SPEND WAY more money and time on keeping the language study
going than you ever make on any of it. Hey, just "write a grant" and you'll
be rolling in dough! Now to be honest, though you don't generally make money
off language study directly, some (linguists among you) do make money
indirectly by having a career based on the language study (thus the fact
sscholars ome are threatened by these kinds of tribal movements to "own"
languages)..and "curators" like Jimm and me do get payback by varying
(emphasis on varying) amounts of regard from the people (some anyway,
depending on the variant allegiances and inevitable/misplaced jealousies
involved). But when it comes to money, cash money, wa! and I add buh!

As far as using copyright law to a language, it won't wash under US
copyright law, which even in art only protects the exact expression of
something.. so you (or a tribe) could copyright a story only so far as the
particular expression of that story, not the idea or a variant expression of
the story. Plus there is the fact that most ofa these stories have been in
public domain for a long long time.

I think the real concern seems to be a bit complex. For some, usually the
more business committee types (or greedy individuals) it seems to be, hey I
want a cut of the pie. Like there is any pie, right. But there is a concern
on at least two other levels.

1. For example, language is a living thing. It has its own life. It was a
gift from the Creator and words themselves have life and power to create or
destroy. Words, the native languages, have a sacredness to them, and can be
misused. I am not talking about the "sacred bundle-ness" of a language, as
an object. I am talking about the creative power and destructive ability
inherent in a language formed by the breath carried down from the first
times, about the life and death force in it. I myself have experienced this,
when I was going to be attacked by a mother bear with cubs. I talked to her
in English and she kept coming. When I talked to her in Ioway, she stopped
and let me go on my way. This kind of power IN THE WORDS I have personally
experienced.

2. This concern also reflects in the current abuse of Lakota by new agey
types trying to "be Indian." Somehow they use the mantra Mitakuye Oyasin
almost like magic words, and many tribes see what has happened to Lakota
popularization, and the appropriation of Native identity and spirituality
through the learning of just enough of the language to appear to be a
spiritual leader.. throw in a "canunpa" and a "inipi" here and there and
PRESTO you are a pipe carrier.

So it's not just money, it's about the spirituality of language, and the
misappropriation of that spirituality, by both nonIndian (and sadly) Indians
to get power over others in a guru sense as well as money (look at the Sun
Bear and Seven Arrows phenomena, let alone the nagual tonal bit of
Castaneda). Language is not only identity, it is spirituality, something
from the time of creation.

No one race of people have a monopoly on spirituality. But native religions
(and language is integral to the religion) are usually thought to be a
specific "contract" between the group and its ancestors/creator/spiritual
environment, and language is an integral part of that. That's why the
Meskwaki don't want others to know their language. That's a part of the
Hochunk traditionalist concern with retaining control over their language, a
way in which copyright may not be appropriate, but you may now better
understand the concern with manipulating language which has the power of
creation in its very sounds.

This may be why many choose not to pass it on, but take it with them when
they pass on.

Lance

--
Lance Michael Foster