Fetch

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 19 17:06:15 UTC 2001

I guess my first question would be, what parts are inflected?  As a
comparativist I'm aware in a general way that a number of the Siouan
branch's instrumental prefixes are full fledged verbs in Catawba, and
hence that these particular instrumentals originate in serial verbs,
whereas others seem to originate in incorporated nouns, but I'm rather
vague on the use of such things in Catawba specifically.  The da:- and du-
elements certainly look like familiar instrumental elements in, e.g.,
Omaha-Ponca, cf. OP naN- 'by foot' and dhi- (< dhu-) 'by hand'.  And I
believe I can recognize at least some of the motion verb roots as cognate,
too, e.g., de and hu, plus there seem to be vertitive k's as well.  What
is the (k)ha: element?  (I'm pretty sure I've benefitted, however,
temporarily, in the past from a discussions of the motion verbs per se
from Blair and/or Paul.  There may be something in the list archives, in
fact.)