Fetch

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 20:18:56 UTC 2001

It is of course possible that the k of the Catawba proclitic duk# is cognate
with the vertitive in Siouan, but I am not sure how you would prove it.  The
du part could come from *ru or *nu, but there is no internal evidence in
Catawba to suggest that duk# was ever bimorphemic.  Duk# is one of a long
list of locative and directional proclitics that occur before the verb root
in Catawba.  Others include hap# up, ma# there, c^apa# away, c^ik# forward,
huk# below, su# in.  I call them proclitics because the following stem
undergoes the same sound changes it would if it were word initial (e.g., r
becomes /d/ before an oral vowel and /n/ before a nasal vowel).

Your analyses of the stem are correct.  The root stem glottal stop is either
the participial mode (if it is word-final) or the momentous aspect (if it is
word-medial).

The underlying forms of the instrumental prefixes and the verb go by foot
are: ra:-, ru- and -ra:-, respectively.  The initial r becomes /d/ or /n/ in
word-initial position, as noted above.

Yes, there is no object inflection.  Objects are marked by proclitics.

The instrumentals da:- and du- are prefixes, and occur with roots other than
-hu:- and -ra:- outside the fetch set.  Duk# is a proclitic, and can occur on
just about any verb of motion.  It can occur with the mutating verbs, as well
as the suffixing verbs.