language as property

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at csuchico.edu
Mon Jun 25 21:32:07 UTC 2001

For the most part, I see Bob's point, and because language is by definition
something that is shared, the legal mechanisms of U.S. copyright law do not
seem to work to well for it. But, I would like to speak to something
linguists don't often talk about--the real selling of bits and pieces of
language that might be the impetus behind the copyright attempts.

Although linguists and academics in general do not make much money from
Native American languages,there are folks out there who do make some.  Some
of these people, regrettably, happen to be linguists although I cannot think
of a single one of these people who actually works on a Native American
language.  Have none of you ever been contacted by folks who work at
"product naming" Consulting Companies trying to get you to give them
good-sounding Lakhota, etc. words?  It's much like the folks who contact
John Koontz for Omaha-Ponca words for naming their baby, dog, etc.

One of these companies (Lexicon)presented at the LSA in San Diego to show
that there were alternative careers for linguists. I doubt this would have
been possible if the Lexicon representative weren't a well-respected
linguist from a research institution.  (I'm avoiding naming names.)
According to the folks (often graduate students from Stanford and Berkeley)
I have met who work for these consulting groups, the consulting group gets
paid anywhere from $30,000-$50,000 for a naming project.  Sometimes the name
is just something catchy-sounding in English. They don't only specialize in
Native American sounding names, any language will do, but there are a lot of
words in Native American languages the global market hasn't heard of. For
instance, the bottled water for Coca Cola is DASANI, not a Sioux word, but
taken from an Athabaskan language.

Maybe we should try to make it clearer that we realize that such
language-farming goes on, but that we don't support it(which is why I like
John K's website about Native American Names), rather than maintaining that
no one is going to make any money off of language at all.

sara trechter