More bears.

Mark Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Thu Mar 1 13:18:06 UTC 2001

The Stabler lexicon glosses

lion             wanita waxa        greater animal  (1977:113)

elephant    tibaxiatha            push over house, referring to its strength
(1977:67),
                                                as taken from Fletcher and
La Flesche (1911:103)

giraffe        pasiata wathate    (1977:85)

A couple years ago elders at the UmoNhoN Nation Public Schools had provided
a term for hippo, but I've momentarily misplaced it.

Sorry, no tigers in Omaha country... although niashiNga hiNshkube (hairy
man/bigfoot) has been sited recently.

uthixide