many things

ardis eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Mar 10 04:34:43 UTC 2001

Well.  I have just read about 600 emails so I apologize that my responses
are tardy & might relate to some things way back, but ...

re: Kathy Shea's cup in Ponca as uxpe
in UmoNhoN it is 'niudhataN'  'water holder'
uxpe is used for plate or dish

I can't find hippo in my notes, but I know there's a word and it has 'water'
in it.  I'll ask monday

re: Bruce Ingham's comments about plants which use ' resembling X'  for
their name:
    We have this in English sort of: False Unicorn Plant
     I think there also are some plants called 'Mock ___' but an example
evades me.

I haven't heard cloudless; clear 'kedha' is consistently used.

Frog: tebia

A venereal disease I remember that Europeans got after contact with the
Americas is syphilis.  I know it came from meso-America; I am unsure of its
range.

re: Kathy Shea's notes on velar aspiration:
aNphaN 'elk' doesn't seem to have this in UmoNhoN

re: OP notation of long vowels:
at the school, we do note them (esp. when contrastive) ex. xtaathe 'I like',
xtatha 's/he likes'

re: Bears
I remember my Russian roomate in Petersburg telling me something about bears
becoming humans (she was very country and so knew lots of folky stuff).

Another example of truncation:
shoNzhiNga 'young horse' (not shoNge zhiNga)

Ok that's my random notes on the emails.  Sorry it lacks promptness, order.
-Ardis