Sleeps and Winters

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Mar 18 06:39:22 UTC 2001

And more etymology, or, at least, vocabulary.

Does anyone know anything aobut the distribution in North America of
the usage 'sleep(s)' in ennumerating days or 'winter(s)' in ennumerating
years?  Are there any similar patterns I'm overlooking?

I suppose, perhaps falsely, that this is faily widespread in the Siouan
family.  I believe it's the case in Omaha-Ponca (or was), using zhaN '
'sleep' and both ma'dhe 'winter' and usniN' 'cold'.  In Dakota Buechel
lists a term c^(h)aN 'night, day [apparently 24 hour day]' always
accompanied by a numeral and also, laconically, wani'yetu 'winter, year'.
The first of these Dakota terms is a regular cognate of OP zhaN 'sleep',
though it is not the regular verb 'to sleep' in Dakota.

JEK