Omaha-Ponca Long Vowls

Kathleen Shea kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Mon Mar 19 06:25:53 UTC 2001

As Bob has pointed out to me, we need to listen for length and record it and
then go back to look at the stress.  It is hard, though.  I haven't been
very systematic about it so far.  When I first started doing fieldwork,
almost every vowel sounded long to me, so I stopped writing long vowels as
much.  I need to go back and look at my notes again.  Anyway, the few times
that I've become aware of minimal pairs for length have been when I've been
corrected by native speakers.  This was true of the now worn examples I've
given of vowel length not spanning a morpheme boundary (repeated here in the
accepted Ponca practical writing system with the adopted convention of
writing the accent mark over the first mora of a double, or long, vowel):
naN'aNde "heart" vs. naN'de "inside perimeter of a tipi (tent)" and niN'iNde
"ripe, cooked, done" vs. niN'de "person's backside, buttocks."  In order to
pronounce these two examples with long vowels to the satisfaction of native
speakers, I usually try to include a rising-falling pitch or a "catch" in my
throat (slight glottal stop or creaky voice), or both when saying the
vowels.  If I ask Ponca speakers if the vowel sounds long or drawn out, they
usually say that, no, it's cut off (due to the glottal stop)!  You all know
that Bob has written an article on this phenomenon of Ponca vowel length
associated with rising-falling pitch/glottal stop/creaky voice.  Another
word where I hear this type of "length" is in my name, TesaN'aNwiN, where
saN'aN means "pale, milky or dirty white."  Of course all these examples
have long nasal vowels.  Several months ago in one of our Ponca language
workshops, again in a case where the fluent Ponca speaker--Henry Lieb, the
Ponca language teacher at Frontier High School in Red Rock--wasn't happy
with my initial pronunciation, we came up with an example of a minimal
triplet.  As I recall (off the top of my head) it involved she'e thaN "the
(round) apple" vs. she' thaN "that (round object)" vs. shethaN' (?).  (I'm
sorry, I've forgotten the meaning for the last word.  I think it means
something like "while" or "then.")  Anyway, Ardis, you might want to try
eliciting those words.  I wish I could offer more enlightening observations,
but that's all I have for now.

Kathy