More on Long Vow(e)ls

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Mar 19 23:48:11 UTC 2001

> As long as I'm thinking about it, there are some other accentual things
in OP that I noticed in Dorsey after my fieldwork that I've always
wondered about.

> One of them is pretty straight forward and not much real help, except
perhaps historically.  This is that the syncopated pronominals with
dh-stems (or th-stems) and others behave as if they were moras for
accentuation.

Another instance of lost initial syllable vowels, as in the wa- wi- prefixes
I mentioned in my last posting.

>So it's
bdha'the 'I eat'
(s^)na'the 'you eat'
and
aNdha'tha(=i) 'we eat'
but
dhatha'(=i) 'he/she eats'

That works just like Kaw. But for whatever reason the verbs with inherently
long vowels like gaaghe 'make, do'doesn't shift.

Notice that the b and (now lost) s^ act like syllables (in some sense)
to pull stress to the first syllable of the root, just as the inclusive aN
and various other prefixes do.

(Yes, *r or *dh in *s^r or *s^dh is acting like *R, and it does so in
Dakotan, too, but not in Ioway-Otoe or Winnebago.)

I guess that something like this is happening in gaghe, too:

ppa'ghe
s^ka'ghe
aNga'gha(=i)
gagha'=i

That's where I am getting gáaghabe. with the long V.