Back to the Platte

Kathleen Shea kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Mar 20 17:20:31 UTC 2001

I enjoyed your poetic description of Nebraska this time of year.  Here in north central Oklahoma, the green grass and winter wheat is starting to show, and people around here are planting potatoes and frying up wild onions.  The shinny games will start soon--in April--giving people the chance to get outside and run around after the winter.

I'm not saying much linguistic, except that I did find out from Henry Lieb the meaning of the third Ponca term in the minimal triplet for vowel length and stress that I wrote about in a previous message:  s^ee'dhaN (shee'thaN) 'the (round, inanimate) apple'; s^e'dhaN (she'thaN) 'that (round, inamimate object)'; and s^edhaN' (shethaN') 'broken.'

Kathy