a phonetic mystery

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 21 07:30:11 UTC 2001

> It had nasalization associated with the morph
> preceding ktA. If I
> recall correctly, Winnebago or Chiwere preserves the [iN].

Okay.  I'm not sure I'm following this, so correct me if I'm off in left
field.  Would this be what is going on in Assiniboine:

wayaga - he sees
wayagiNkta - he will see

yuda - he eats (transitive)
yudiNkta - he will eat

It goes on and on.  A lot of verbs with stress on the first syllable seem to
be suseptible to this A--> iN ablaut (?) when -kta appears.

As for mni 'water', I've got it with both the nasal and non-nasal vowel from
my primary consultant.  I suspect that's my ear though.

Shannon