Omaha-Ponca Long Vowels

Kathleen Shea kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Mar 22 10:04:20 UTC 2001

Ardis, perhaps Omaha is different from Ponca.  I definitely hear a nasal
vowel in niNiNde 'ripe, done, cooked,' and it's easy (I think, anyway) to
hear a nasal vowel before a stop because of the homo-organic nasal consonant
that occurs epenthetically.  (Compare tade 'wind' and taNde 'ground.')  As
John points out, the initial consonant in the word for 'ripe' was "funny"
*R.  The idea that *R might have been a consonant cluster appeals to me, but
I'm not well-versed enough in Siouan historical linguistics to be able to
say why.  By the way, any of you Dhegihanists, would you say that the word
for 'gravy,' wanide (waniide  --?) in Omaha-Ponca, has the same root as the
word for 'ripe, cooked, done'?  Even if it does, it doesn't have a nasal
vowel in Ponca.

John, you mentioned the word naNzhiN 'hair' in Omaha-Ponca as historically
having an initial "funny" *R.  Did its homonyms naNzhiN 'to stand, standing'
and naNzhiN 'rain' begin with *R, too?

Kathy