a phonetic mystery

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Thu Mar 22 15:45:57 UTC 2001

This is precisely why I think we've been sloppy about this phenomenon.  I
agree that the vowel in the ma- prefix is strongly nasalized, as is the
prefix in mani 'to walk'. The position of that vowel is also considerably
higher -- more schwah-like -- than the oral equivalent.   But the -na in
wana 'now' is much less obviously nasalized most of the  time, and the
position is low central, more like the stereotyical "a as in  father" than
like a schwah.  Most speakers deny any difference when I ask  them about
it, but their practice belies their intuitions.  Another set  would be the
nasal u in nupa 'two', which is so strongly nasalized that  many people
are tempted to write numpa until we train that out of them, in  contrast
with nuwaN 'to swim' or manu 'to steal', where the "u" is higher, tenser,
backer,  and far  less strongly nasalized, and no one every tries to write
a nasal consonant after the "u".  I don't think anyone has ever
suggested that manupi 'they steal' should be written manumpi.
But I do not  completely trust my own  ears at this point, and I am not
sure how much consistency there is from  speaker to speaker or place to
place, though I am convinced that any given  speaker is quite consistent
about which pronunciation goes with which word.  If there are
contradictory data out there, I'd like to hear about them.

David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado