a phonetic mystery

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:21:18 UTC 2001

Sorry; what I wrote got garbled. I should have said:

All of David's impressionistic judgments sound correct to me (thus,
John, it's not the case that there's no nasalization after nasals!).
Maybe there is a contrast, as David seems to suggest, but I believe that
if someone was interested in pursuing this exhaustively stress, what
consonant follows the post-nasal-C vowel, and syllable position within
the word would combine to determine which of these variants we
hear. I do not believe there's a phonemic contrast. But if you guys
prove me wrong, great!

ah the joys of cut-and-paste

Pam