Siouan Long Vowls

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 16:54:15 UTC 2001

In a message dated 3/21/01 1:46:34 PM Mountain Standard Time,
John.Koontz at colorado.edu writes:

> > As far as I can tell Crow has only two degrees of length.  High and low
> pitch
> > vowels may be either long or short; falling pitch vowels are only long.
> >
> > Randy
>
> Are there ever cases of two adjacent identical vowels?
>
> JEK

Yes, you do have cases of adjacent identical vowels.  With prefixes like baa-
'indefinite', the vowels do not merge, but are separated by a slight catch in
the voice, not quite a glottal stop: e.g., baaa'akiia 'vision', or
baaa'pchisuua 'something spread, peanut butter or jam'.

With suffixes, sequences of identical vowels merge into one long vowel: eg,
du'usaa 'lay down' + -ak 'same subject' --> du'usaak.

Randy