More bears.

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 11:28:32 UTC 2001

in Lakota 'whale' is wamnitu presumably 'thing being in water' and
 I think I've seen in for 'hippo' too,  which would make sense.
Incidentally does anyone have an explanation for uNh^ceg^ila or
uNkceg^ila for 'mastodon' or 'prehistoric animal', known through the
skeletons found on the plains.  Unkce looks like the word 'e.cre.
ent' which was quarantined in a recent dialogue g^i 'brown' and la
'diminutive'.  Alltogether highly unpleasant to behold I suppose.  In
one of Buechels texts there is a description of the discovery of one
of these.

Bruce