reduplication in Siouan languages

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 21 16:28:14 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 Zylogy at aol.com wrote:
> Hi. I'm coauthoring an areal/typological map/description of reduplicative
> constructions  and wanted to know if any of you folks might help with Siouan-
> I've got IJAL materials on a number of languages, and Boas on Lakhota- is
> there any concensus on reconstructability of reduplication for the family?
> Any areal patterns after dispersal of the various daughter subgroupings? Any
> info would be helpful. Thanks.

Reduplication occurs pretty much throughout Siouan, but details of form
and use differ from language to language.  For an early survey in passing
for Mississippi Valley, see Boas & Swanton's article on Dakota with notes
on Omaha-Ponca and Winnebago in the old BAE Handbook of North American
Indian Languages.

The standard Dakota treatment of C-final stems is uniquely Dakotan.

I've seen or heard Pat Shaw, I think, discuss an additional pattern in
Stoney or Assiniboine, but I'm not sure at this point what the reference
would be, though, obviously, checking a list of her articles would be a
reasonable thing to do.  (Unfortunately, Pat Shaw is not on this list.)

JEK