Keying Popular Orthographies in MS Word

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed May 2 21:50:56 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Catherine Rudin wrote:
>        Typing superscript letters isn't all that bad once you discover
>        you don't actually have to go into menus to do it...  At least
>        in MS Word ctrl-shift-+ puts you in (and then out of)
>        superscript mode.  It's a couple of extra keystrokes, but no
>        worse than having to backspace out all the spaces you'd have to
>        leave to use the autocorrect method.   Ardis E. put me onto
>        this, and the raised n and h have been much less of a pain
>        since then.

That sounds like it would help alot.  Thank you Catherine (and Ardis)!
It's not much worse than alt-a for accented, or following N for nasal,
though the compound keystrokes (in all cases) are harder on the hands.
,V is another possible key combination, instead of VN, though sometimes
you may want a comma up against a vowel, I guess.  I was looking for
something that keyed like NetSiouan.

>        Another possibility, of course, is to create a raised letter
>        once, by whatever means, and then copy it and paste in copies
>        of it wherever needed...

I've used this approach.  Type n or h, then fix the first one, then cut
and paste the raised n or h over all the n's or h's that should be raised.
Psychologically it's not unlike preparing the text with hammer and chisel
on a piece of flat stone, but it beats the menu approach.

>        Catherine (aka the anti-techie) Rudin

Catherine's middle initial is L, for Luddite.