Verb "To swim"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 4 17:23:23 UTC 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Lance Foster wrote:
> WOW John..thanks! :)

You're welcome!  These are inflectionally interesting stems, and also
interesting because of the comparative factors.

> from that I take it for IO:
>
> nyiwaN' = "to swim"
> hi'ra = "to bathe" (oldest form due to similarity to OP forms)
> pira/pitha/pidha (var. forms derived from hira)

Any idea how these are inflected in IO?

Also, I have to admit that I didn't look for pira (?phira) forms
elsewhere, though I'm pretty sure they don't exist in OP.

It occurs to me that r ~ th ~ dh (presumably the latter are *s/*z?) is not
a standard alternation in IO, so this looks like two different stems, one
with medial r and one with medial s/z (<theta>/<edh>).

JEK