FW: death of Joseph Greenberg

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed May 9 15:33:18 UTC 2001

I just got this from John Kyle.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle, John H [mailto:jkyle at KU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 9:57 AM
To: LING-L,
Subject: death of Joseph Greenberg

I haven't seen it posted to the Linguist List yet, but according to the
functional list Joseph Greenberg died last Monday.  I've pasted the message
from T. Givon.

John Kyle
**********************************
Dear friends and fellow travellers,

The news of the passing of Joseph Greenberg, yesterday at Stanford,
California, may have already filtered out through the network. As I expect,
an outpouring of grief, rememberances and appreciations will now begin to
gather steam. If one could deign to credit a single person as founder of our
network, it would surely be Joe. For in his work most clearly than in any
others', the transparent unity of typology, universals, diachrony and
functionalism was manifest, indeed boldly proclaimed and painstakingly
argued. His catholic tastes in languages and linguistics, his restless
scholarship, his adventuresome curiosity, and above all his insistence of
understanding and explanation, have inspired several generations of
linguists and anthropologists. We will sorely miss him.

Tom Givon