Number & Counting Comparisons in Dhegiha

rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu
Wed Nov 14 00:27:05 UTC 2001

Hello Justin!

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the list!

I'm a student in Mark Awakuni-Swetland's class on Omaha.
We have also been trying to come up with a curriculum for
teaching the language, while desparately trying to figure it
out ourselves, so we can sympathize with your plight!  I hope
we can keep in touch with you and compare notes.

In Omaha-Ponca, the basic word for 'count' is dha'wa.  The
conjugation we have seems to be:

     dha'wa         s/he counts

     bdha'wa   I count

     hna'wa         you count  (the 'h' may be silent.)

     aNdha'wa  we count

This is a pretty regular set, and matches your imperative
form 'yawa'.  What surprises me is your first- and second-
person forms 'abla' and 'yabla'.

We do have a prefix wa- which generically substitutes
for the specific objects that would otherwise precede the
verb.  Thus, for our English sense of counting in general,
rather than counting fish, houses, people, stars, or
whatever, it would probably actually come out something
like:

     wadha'wa  s/he counts

     wabdha'wa I count

     etc.

I'm not sure we've found an abstract term 'number' yet,
though the Omaha dictionary compiled by Mark and
Elizabeth Stabler many years ago translates 'number'
as 'wadhawa'.

Other than ablaut issues, and a few irregular common
verbs, the command form and the third person singular
are normally the same.  The command form is the verb,
ending in -a if it ablauts, followed by the command
particle, -ga for men and -a for women.  I believe that
dha'wa is a regular, non-ablauting -a stem verb, so we
can just use it as it is.

     ShaN'ge dha'wa ga!
     Count the horses! (man speaking)

     Wadha'wa ga!
     Count!  (man speaking)

     ShaN'ge dha'wa a!
     Count the horses!  (19th century woman speaking)

     ShaN'ge dha'wa ya!
     Count the horses!  (20th century woman speaking)

For the orthography on this list, check out John Koontz'
excellent web site at

     http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz/default.htm

and click down to FAQ, and then "What is NetSiouan?"

Good luck!

Rory

"Justin McBride" <jmcbride at kayserv.net>@lists.colorado.edu on 11/13/2001
01:46:57 PM