Number & Counting Comparisons in Dhegiha

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Nov 14 03:41:38 UTC 2001

> I'm not sure we've found an abstract term 'number' yet

>I wouldn't be surprised (in general terms) if 'number' were a relatively
unimportant word.

Yes, note that "number" in English is borrowed from Fr. nombre < Latin
numerus.  There doesn't seem to be a real Anglo-Saxon equivalent.  There is
'to tell', meaning 'count' (as in a bank teller), but a 'tale' isn't a
number; it's restricted to recounting verbal material, not numerals. I'd be
surprised to find a noun for number in any Siouan language -- or most other
languages for that matter.  I guess Rory's 'wadhawa' "something [you] count"
is as good a noun as any.  Kaw would be *wayawa.