Number & Counting Comparisons in Dhegiha

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 15 04:21:43 UTC 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Justin wrote:
> Do such constructions more often involve combinations of A-Active Regular
> Conjugation and (Y-) R-Stem Conjugation?  Does this ever occur with any of
> the less productive conjugations?

I should add that doubling with *r-stem (Kansa y- or OP dh-stems) is
somewhat unusual in DHegiha (or, anyway, Omaha-Ponca), but I think it
occurs wholesale in recent Ioway-Otoe, where I gather that regular +
r-stem is the rule for the r-stem paradigms, though that wasn't the case
in somewhat older materials.