More on Number; Inflected Q/INDEF Words

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 15 05:23:10 UTC 2001

I checked "number" and "quantity" in Omaha-Ponca the Dorsey texts and, in
a nice concatenation with Bruce's query on "how far" I notice that, except
for cases where "great number" is an English idiom for "many," it seems
that "number" always occurs in translations of correlatives based on the
=naN stem, e.g., a'=naN 'how many', but e'=kki=naN 'an equal (or
sufficient) number or quanity' (-kki- reciprocal/reflexive), e'=naN 'that
quantity', and so on.  I suppose you could say something like 'we will
learn to say how many' for 'we will learn numbers'.

Incidentally:

a'=   naN= i       'how many are they' (JOD 1890:297.11)
INDEF many PLURAL

So, you can inflect this indefinite/interrogative stem for number.

For that matter:

a'wa=      the=    di= i      'in what place are they' (JOD 1890:70.10)
INDEF-OF-2 DEF-ART LOC PLURAL

And:

JOD 90:587.1:  e=a'thaN=i 'why are they'
JOD 90:661.8 e=aN'=i 'how are they'
JOD 90:46.14 awa'=hnaNkha=s^e 'where are you who ...'

There latter case has personal inflection with the second person plural of
the article dhiNkHe 'the sitting'.