How far/how long?

Jan F. Ullrich ullrich.j at soupvm.cz
Thu Nov 15 06:20:37 UTC 2001

I am pretty sure I remember the native speakers saying something like:
TohaN' thehaN' yathi' he? How far from here do you live.
Besides, I think the time adverbs like tohaN'yaN are adverbs of
place/distance at the same time, e.g. i'thehaN - long from / far from,
hehaN'yaN - that long (time) / that far.
So I presume Bruce's question could likely be:

How far is it to Rapid City from here?
Rapid City letaN' tohaN'yaN yaNka' he?
Or
Rapid City letaN' tohaN' thehaN' yaNka' he?

Rapid City is ten miles from here.
Mnilu'zahe OtxuN'wahe letaN' makhi'yutxa wikce'mna (hehaN'yaN) yaNke'.

Jan

PS: I am going to search some of my texts and audio recordings for evidence.

Jan F. Ullrich
ullrich.j at soupvm.cz
www.inext.cz/siouan

Jan F. Ullrich