Number & Counting Comparisons in Dhegiha

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 18:31:12 UTC 2001

Thanks Jim
KhaNza is what they are called in Lakota think.  Not far from the
original,name.  We English are formed from the Angles, Saxons
and Jutes.  The Saxons come from Saxony in Germany, the Jutes
from Jutland in Denmark which was German at the time not
Scandinavian.  However there is a dispute about where the Angles
came from I believe. A German friend of mine tells me that it is
from an area west of Jutland with the name Engl- something to this
day and that it is connected with the word  angle 'hook' and angling
'fishing'.  No Encyclopaedia I've looked at tells you this.  I have a
sneaking suspicion that at that time they had heard of Angels from
the Romans and decided to call themselves that. (like the Hell's
Angels perhaps).  This is not impossible. Tribal or national names
often have self vaunting or mythological significance.  The
Amalekites of the Old Testament look like the Arabic word for
'giant' and a tribe of Iraq are called the A'ajiba which would seem to
mean 'the wonderful ones'.  Who knows
Bruce
Bruce
> Is Kaw the same as Kansa
> I'm intrigued
> Bruce

Kaw is known by many names, notably Kansa, Konze, Kanza, and Kansas.
Perhaps Kansa is the familiar term to you.  Growing up in Osage country, a
little ways from Kaw City, I always heard the word Kaw.  I try to use the
word Kansa, though, because it's much closer to the way it used to be said:
kkaN'ze or kkaN:'ze.

jm

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies