Gordon Marsh

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Mon Nov 26 16:31:00 UTC 2001

Lance --
	I actually had some correspondence with Marsh after he retired,
but it's all lost now.  I am pretty sure that he did indeed retire to a
Russian Orthodox institution somewhere in the southwest.  His Orthodox
name was Rev. Priestmonk Innocent.  Are you sure that the sequence of
events was from Boas' student to Orthodox priest?  Somehow I had the idea
that he was already a Priest when he was doing his Chiwere work and
studying with Boas.
	Be careful, too, about the Whitman assertion.  I have always
believed that the copy of the Whitman manuscript in the Marsh files was
exactly that -- a copy of what Whitman wrote.  For one thing, the
typewriter on which that is written looks quite different from the one
Marsh used otherwise.  When I found the "missing page" from the Whitman
ms. years ago, I intended to write a postscript to to the Voelgelin-Harris
publication, but I never got around to it.
	BEcause of these two notions, either or both of which may be from
my imagination or from some "folklore" I picked up along the way, I would
add my voice to those who encourage you to try to write the biography.  I
will look for my correspondence, too, but probably not til after
Christmas.

	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics