Number & Counting Comparisons in Dhegiha

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Wed Nov 14 00:49:52 UTC 2001

> I'm not sure we've found an abstract term 'number' yet

I wouldn't be surprised (in general terms) if 'number' were a relatively
unimportant word. I can't think of many situations requiring it in
cultures without a formal mathematics. Alternatives are easily found for
expressions like "a large number of".

It certainly would come in handy in teaching, though: "let's work on
numbers today". An obvious alternative here--"counting"--seems worth
looking into: is "count" as noun or verb more common than "number"?

Alan