Posting book announcements on the Siouan list (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:46:20 UTC 2001

I received this enquiry.  I told Mr. Schiavo only announcements of
publications on Siouan languages would be really appropriate and that I
was personally of the opinion that it would be better to keep book
announcements out entirely.  I recommended SSILA as a better alternative.

However, I thought I should ask the list subscribers what they thought.
I don't think it's so much an issue of volume or length of submission.
We probably err in all directions already - too much, too little, too
long, too short, depending on who and when ...  For me it's more a
question of whether you want direct commercial attention, however apt,
modest and scholarly, through this channel.

Perversely, if someone reposted an announcement or a review that wouldn't
bother me.  It's the difference between somebody coming up and asking me
if I'd like to buy a book and an acquaintance recommending one.

If you have views on this that you'd like to express, feel free to respond
either to the list or to me personally.