Posting book announcements on the Siouan list (fwd)

Mark Awakuni-Sweltand mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Thu Oct 25 17:08:26 UTC 2001

ZhiNtheho John:

Personally, I'd rather see book announcements coming as recommendations from
someone on the list who has already checked out the contents.

For example, I've been asked to look at the 2000 Watts Library (Grolier)
publication by Madelyn Klein Anderson "The Omaha". Fortunately for the
SiouanList, this 63 page book has little Omaha language (e.g., Hoo-Thu-Ga).
Unfortunately for anyone wanting to use it as an introductory text in a
grade school, it contains several questionable or misleading descriptions
and photographs, and some outright errors. I cannot determine from the
author's "note on sources" whether she actually entered Nebraska or the
Omaha Reservation, or visited with Omaha people, during her research. I am
in the process of preparing an email letter to the Grolier folks detailing
my concerns.

It is this sort of engaged information that I would find useful should
anyone wish to offer it. Otherwise, I would rather take a pass on the
marketing announcements.
best
uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Lecturer