article

Richard C. Lundy rlundy at huntel.net
Tue Oct 16 13:27:04 UTC 2001

Ms. West,
You might remember me from last year re: some Lakota translations.  How's your
work coming? I just wanted to pass along some of that informal perspective often
only available from Native speakers.  I was recently speaking with a close
Sicagu friend from the Rosebud Reservation. He is a fluent Lakota (his 1st
language) speaker. He had recently had conversation with a man who is identified
as "Stoney Sioux" known to be Nakota. My friend referred to the Nakota speaker's
sound as not so much "N" as such but more "J" sounding. It was reportedly
difficult (not impossible) to hold a mutually intelligible conversation. He
heard "Jina waste." rather than the expected "Nina waste." sound. (lacking your
linguistic terminology; a soft or even aspirated "J"). I'm curious (as a Lakota
speaker/instructor familiar also with the "D" of the Santee) what feedback you
might be willing to share re: this observation.
Thank you. Be well!
Richard Lundy
Nebraska Indian Community College