Ablaut (RE: Obviative/Proximate and the Omaha verb system)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 5 06:24:31 UTC 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> I don't have time to summarize all the discussion Dick, Wes, John and I have
> had over Mandan -re.

Ah yes, the R-Wars.  I'd try to summarize them, but (a) I'm not sure
everyone stuck to one point of view throughout, which makes them rather
complex to summarize.  I think everyone's views altered in some ways from
one year to the next.  Also (b), I'm not sure I remember precisely what
each person thought.  Not well enough to do them each justice, anyway, and
that makes things impossible to summarize.  I have a hard enough time
remembering what I think about the subject.  Finally, (c) heaven forbid
that the Third R-War should break out.  Even the knowledge that the Romans
built a new Carthage shortly after they won the third Punic war and sowed
the site of Carthage with salt isn't all that encouraging.

Et Carthago delenda est, anyone?  Just kidding.