OP e'iNte

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Sep 9 04:53:40 UTC 2001

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu wrote:
> > He tends to put a breve over e in the vs. e in tte.
> There is no breve over the final -e in the examples of e'iNte
> I've looked at since reading this post, ...

Sadly, he seems to have only done this with the in other contexts, like
just plain the.  This is why I'm somewhat grieved at Dorsey's breves.
Anyway, I'm relieved to be confirmed.  I'm pretty sure I had managed to
confirm it one way or another in the past.  However, the "double future"
(I think this may be Boas's term) in =tte=the or =tta=i=the has given me a
great deal of grief over the years.  I'm pretty sure the second morpheme
is aspirated, however, not another future.  This is one reason why marking
aspiration properly is so important.

JEK