Other Contexts that Condition =bi

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Sep 22 06:34:47 UTC 2001

1) We've mentioned names, cf. I's^kada=bi

2) and old song texts.

3) Infamous is following ama QUOTATIVE (or REPORTATIVE).  Sometimes Dorsey
   records this as =b ama, but mostly as =bi=ama, glossed 'they say'.  By
   a sort of contagion various other =bi or =b get glossed as 'they say', too.

4) The 'heraldic' or 'announcement by authority' or 'formal' declarative
   particles a'dha (male) and e'dhe (female) (sometimes ano (anau) in
   songs or modern speech, I think) also condition =bi. Dorsey often
   glosses these as 'indeed'.

Dorsey 1890:33.10-11

"Mas^c^iN'ge ni'kkagahi s^ka'ghe=tta=i"    a'=bi   a'dha.
"Rabbit      chief      you will make him" he says INDEED

- Note that 'Rabbit' is consistently Mas^c^iN'ge in Dorsey's texts,
  whereas modern Omahas seem to much prefer Mas^tiN'ge.

- This form of the future, with =i (if needed) and no positional is used
  for polite requests.  You might call it the precative.

====

A few following contexts and/or morphemes that seem never to take =bi:

- 'I think'

- edaN 'apt; in thought', ethedaN 'shall'

- a'haN 'indeed' (also the feminine ehaN) (a sort of emphatic declarative)

- a'naN 'in thought' (different from a'dhaN?)

- i'naNhiN 'truely' (an inflectable verb)

- e'skaN 'perhaps'

The 'think' and 'in thought' cases are significant, because some thought
complements do take =bi, of which more, I hope, anon (no pun intended).